At Burkett & Co., the strength and reputation of our firm are the direct result of our people. The collaborative and inclusive culture we share provides an opportunity for all employees to have impact.
Our firm is an approved training office as recognized by CPABC and is committed to ensuring a supportive environment for CPA students in successfully completing the CPA program.
Current opportunities are posted here. If no opportunities are listed that match your skills, we encourage qualified Chartered Professional Accountants to submit by email a resume and cover letter addressed to Burkett Hiring Committee:
Only qualified applicants will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
Our Current Vacancies
- Senior Tax Associate
What we’re looking for
We are currently seeking a Senior Tax Associate to join our Victoria office. The successful candidate would review client corporate and personal tax circumstances to identify opportunities as well as ensure compliance with all federal and provincial tax laws and regulations. This is done in consultation with the client and upon review and understanding of relevant documentation and materials provided by the client and the firm.
The Senior Tax Associate contributes to the development of our estate and financial planning service offering and actively implements the offering in direct consultation with clients.
The Senior Tax Associate is a key client‐facing position within the firm, responsibilities of the role include:
• Establishes/enhances the client relationship by gathering client data, and documenting client goals
• Analyzes and evaluates the client’s financial status, and develops/presents tax and financial planning recommendations
• Works directly with clients to ensure clients are able to make informed decisions regarding tax, estate and financial planning services
• Identifies opportunities to innovate and leverage across firm’s multiple service channels to achieve beneficial client outcomes
• Monitors the implementation of tax and financial planning recommendations in consultation with the client and the client’s other service providers
• Liaises with others in the firm to ensure client’s needs are met
• Prepares and/or reviews personal, corporate and trust tax returns
• Conducts/assists with tax projects
• Performs tax research, planning, and consulting tailored for clients’ circumstances
• Communicates with clients regarding tax service engagements
Key experience & knowledge
Understands current best practice for tax planning, estate and financial planning, as well as asset management/protection.
• CPA designation
• CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course or desire to enroll in the program
• CFP or desire to enroll in the program
• Must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in a professional financial services firm
Comprehensive understanding of:
• Canadian Income Tax (Corporate & Personal)
• Principles of financial planning
• Estate planning
Skills and abilities:
• Relationship management skills and the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with firm leadership, other employees, clients and professional contacts
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; and attention to detail when communicating
• Business English
• Must be eligible to work in Canada
• Must maintain professional certification as a condition of employment
• Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance as a condition of employment
• Must be willing to work beyond a normal work schedule to meet seasonal/peak workloads and deadlines
Applicants may submit their application using the submission form on this site. Please include a short cover letter, with an understanding of your notice period, if in current employment, the job title and relevant salary expectations.
Working In Victoria
Victoria is a great place to work and play.
The capital city of British Columbia offers a rich cultural heritage, an affordable cost of living, and the great outdoors at your doorstep.